Wipeout Omega Collection (stylised as WipEout Omega Collection) is a futuristic racing video game developed by Sony XDev Europe, Clever Beans and EPOS Game Studios for the PlayStation 4. It is the tenth standalone title in the Wipeout series and the first not developed by original developers Studio Liverpool, following the studio's closure in 2012. It is a remaster of the previous two entries in the series: Wipeout HD, its Wipeout HD Fury expansion and Wipeout 2048. The game was released on 6 June 2017.
Wipeout Omega Collection is a remaster of the previous two titles in the Wipeout series: Wipeout HD, its Wipeout HD Fury expansion and Wipeout 2048. Wipeout HD itself contained content from Wipeout Pure and Wipeout Pulse. Players control anti-gravity ships which are owned racing corporations (effectively referred to as 'teams' in-game). Every ship has different characteristics, for example each ship has variations in handling, thrust, maximum speed and shield strength. Each craft is equipped with an energy shield which absorbs damage sustained during a race; energy is lost whenever the player's ship collides or is hit by weapons fire. If the shield runs out, the player's ship will explode and is consequently eliminated from the race. However, the player may replenish energy by absorbing weapon pick-ups.
Nine games modes will appear in Omega Collection: Zone, Tournament, Speed Lap, Time Trial and Single Race from HD; Zone Battle, Eliminator and Detonator from Fury; and the Career Mode from 2048. The game will contain 26 unique tracks and 46 unique ship models. The game will include split-screen and online multiplayer.  Also, Racebox will be included for all tracks.  The campaigns are split in to 3 groups, in a similar manner to how the HD and Fury campaigns were seperated in Wipeout HD Fury.
Omega Collection was designed to be run at 1080p on the Playstation 4 and 4K on the PlayStation 4 Pro, both at 60 frames-per-second. Van-Über and Tigron will return to the series, with the former as a digital pre-order bonus.
Studio Liverpool, the original developers of the Wipeout series, announced its closure by Sony Worldwide Studios. However, Sony stressed that the only part of the Liverpool campus that is being closed is Studio Liverpool. The campus will still house Sony's External Development Studio Europe (XDev) among other departments.
In 2015, Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida stated on a possible Wipeout for the PS4 "Never say never. From my standpoint I try to balance the number of games in a franchise. In the future there might be a chance to come back to a game like Wipeout." In 2016 Nick Burcombe, co-creator of the original Wipeout, commented “If (my latest project) Table Top Racing is successful, I know I can put a team together for it as I get asked every week if we’re making a new Wipeout. If there’s demand there, we’d love to meet it. But as it stands right now, without the Wipeout brand on it – which I doubt Sony is about to relinquish anytime soon – it’s kind of out of the question without Sony’s blessing."
The game was announced by Sony Interactive Entertainment on 4 December 2016, during the annual PlayStation Experience expo for a Summer 2017 release. On 30 March 2017, Sony announced that the game will be available on 6 June for North America and 7 June for Europe. 
Pre-order Bonus Edit
Those who pre-order the game digitally will be gifted a dynamic theme for their PS4 as well as access to the Van-Über ship.  Those who pre-order the disc version will be given an exclusive steelbook as well as static themes for the PS4. (The steelbook is not available in NA.)
Game Modes Edit
- Single Race
- Time Trial
- Speed Lap
- Eliminator/Combat (2048)
- Zone Battle (HD Fury)
- Detonator (HD Fury)
Wipeout HD Fury:
Wipeout Omega Collection features 28 licensed soundtracks. If the PlayStation Music app is installed, players can use the "Best of WipEout" Spotify playlist to use tracks from older Wipeout games. Due to the many Spotify playlists on PlayStation Music, however, players can listen to anything.
- ADDIKTION – Shake It (Wipeout Omega Instrumental Edit)
- Airwolf – Talking Bass feat. Stace Cadet (Taiki Nulight Edit)
- Black Sun Empire & State of Mind – Kill That Noise (Wipeout Omega Edit)
- Boys Noize – XTC (The Chemical Brothers Remix)
- Brodinski feat Louisahhh – Let The Beat Control Your Body
- Carbon Community vs. Burufunk – Community Funk (Deadmau5 remix)
- David Tort & Danielle Simeone – You Got To (Wipeout Omega Edit)
- DC Breaks – Breathe (Instrumental VIP Mix)
- CODE:MANTA – DFCK
- Dillon Francis & NGHTMRE – Need You (DJ Hanzel & Drezo Remix)
- DJ Kentaro feat. Matrix & Futurebound – North South East West (Tha New Team Remix)
- Emika – Double Edge (GeRM Remix)
- James Talk – Remote (Deadmau5 Remix)
- Jerome Isma-Ae & Paul Thomas – Tomorrow (Luke Chable Remix)
- Krakota – Lust Thrust
- Matrix & Futurebound – Glow Worm
- Matt Anthony – Headlights
- Memtrix – IC YR PAIN
- Metrik – Bring It Like That
- Movement Machina & Timo Vaittinen – Upsides Have Downsides (Wipeout Omega Edit)
- Noisia & The Upbeats – Dead Limit
- Red One – Born Free
- Soundprank – Obsidian
- Swanky Tunes – Give It
- Swedish House Mafia vs Knife Party – Antidote (Swedish House Mafia Dub)
- The Chemical Brothers – C-h-e-m-i-c-a-l
- The Prodigy – Invaders Must Die
- Warden – Get Down
Wipeout Omega Collection has been met with generally favourable reviews, with a Metacritic aggregate score of 85% and a Game Rankings score of 87%.
Miguel Conception gave the game 9 out of 10 concluding that "While each of the three games exude style and stimulation in their own distinct ways, they collectively showcase the best elements of franchise's engrossing racing and silky smooth visuals. And even though it doesn't completely scratch the itch that only a completely new PS4 sequel can offer, this collection is easily the next best thing." Timothy Nunes of Playstation Universe gave it 8.5 and heavily praises the updated graphics, saying "It's brilliant to see WipEout back. It looked great back in the day, but thanks to the power of PS4 it now looks incredible, and captures with style the adrenaline-pumping action that we so fondly remember."  Martin Robinson of Eurogamer also comments "When WipEout clicks...there's nothing else like it, and given the premature demise of Studio Liverpool it's quite likely there'll never be anything like it again. There may well be other, better futuristic racers out there - but there are none that can boast this much style."
The main criticism of the game was due to the lack of new content. Sammy Barker of Push Square laments "Despite being boosted all the way up to 4K on the PS4 Pro, some of the tracks are returning for the fourth time, and while WipEout 2048’s contemporary layouts look luxurious on the big screen, it can be hard to shake the feeling of familiarity on occasion." James Coles of Impulse Gamer further comments "It’s fair to say, if you’re a Wipeout veteran, you’ve probably played these three games and their modes until your eyes have melted, but that doesn’t mean that WipEout: Omega Collection isn’t worth your time." Dominic Leighton of TheSixthAxis also criticises the choice of music, saying "...the emphasis is on modern electronica, and though its heart-pumpingly intense beats fit perfectly with the action and with the series’ outlook, it seems a shame that there aren’t a few more nods to where the series has come from. Of course, you can just fire up a Spotify soundtrack and listen to as much Leftfield and Orbital as you like, but there needs to be some CoLD SToRAGE to really hit the spot." 
- ↑ WipEout Omega Collection announced for PS4 at PSX
- ↑ https://twitter.com/SonyXDevEurope/status/847526879460458497
- ↑ https://twitter.com/SonyXDevEurope/status/847748689460248577/photo/1
- ↑ Here’s your first look at WipEout Omega Collection’s new ship: the Tigron K-VSR
- ↑ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-22-sony-closes-wipeout-developer-sony-liverpool-report
- ↑ https://www.gamespot.com/articles/never-say-never-to-a-new-wipeout-game-says-sony-ex/1100-6430937/
- ↑ http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wipeout-co-creator-nick-burcombe-wants-the-licence-to-make-another-one/0166587
- ↑ WipEout Omega Collection Revealed for PS4
- ↑ WipEout Omega Collection announced for PS4 at PSX
- ↑ http://press-start.com.au/news/playstation/2016/12/04/wipeout-omega-collection-coming-ps4/
- ↑ http://gematsu.com/2017/03/wipeout-omega-collection-launches-june-6-north-america-june-7-europe
- ↑ http://www.gamingunion.net/news/2017/03/wipeout-omega-collection-releases-on-ps4-in-june
- ↑ http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/31/wipeout-omega-collection-arriving-june/
- ↑ http://gametransfers.com/wipeout-omega-collection-steelbook-edition-announced/
- ↑ WipEout Antigrav Anthems – a Spotify playlist inspired by the iconic PlayStation series
- ↑ WipEout Omega Collection’s full soundtrack revealed
- ↑ https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/wipeout-omega-collection-review/1900-6416695/
- ↑ Nunes, Timothy (June 6, 2017). WipEout Omega Collection Review. PlayStation Universe. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- ↑ Robinson, Martin (June 6, 2017). WipEout Omega Collection review. Eurogamer.net. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Barker, Sammy (June 6, 2017) Review: WipEout Omega Collection. Push Square. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- ↑ Coles, James (June 7, 2017). WipEout Omega Collection PS4 Review. Impulse Gamer. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- ↑ Leighton, Dominic (June 5, 2017). WipEout Omega Collection Review. TheSixthAxis. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- ↑ TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE, WEEK ENDING 10 June 2017. GfK Chart-Track. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- ↑ Parfitt, Ben (June 12, 2017). Wipeout claims its first ever UK No.1. MCV. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
External Links Edit
Wipeout Omega Collection on Clever Beans
|PS1: WipEout • 2097/XL • 64 • Wip3out|
|PS2/PSP: Fusion • Pure • Pulse|
|PS3/Vita: HD (Fury) • 2048|
|PS4: Omega Collection|