Wipeout 2048 is a racing game for the PlayStation Vita, and is the latest installment in the Wipeout series of anti-gravity racing games from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. It is one of the launch titles for the console. It is also the last title issued from Studios Liverpool before its closure on 22 August 2012.
First demonstrated to the press before E3 2011, Wipeout 2048 is one of the first games for the successor to the PlayStation Portable. The game will make use of the new input methods of the console, with the touch-sensitive screen used for firing and absorbing weapons, and the rear touchpad used for acceleration; it will also feature optional tilt control improved from Wipeout HD using the accelerometers and gyroscopes. The microphones can also be used for voice-activated weapons.
For multiplayer, the game will also feature cross-platform online racing, with the press preview allowing players from the PlayStation 3 version of Wipeout HD/Fury to play the HD/Fury tracks against those on the handheld console. Online multiplayer will be based on the campaign structure, featuring missions that each player must undertake, such as sticking to the top tier of the course or finishing in the top half of the leaderboard; these missions will allow novice players to progress as well as unlock new content.
Wipeout 2048 is set in the near future, and relative to previous games, takes place much earlier in the Wipeout timeline, as the new sport of anti-gravity racing is beginning to emerge, making it a prequel. As such, dedicated racing tracks are yet to be built, and so races take place in city streets. Set in Studio Liverpool's interpretation of New York City in the near future, races will be three-tiered, with lower levels showing off architectural details, while higher levels will show off the modern, futuristic elements of the city. Tracks are also wider than previous entries, which the team hopes will allow for greater use of combat.
The game campaign is separated into a single player campaign, where you contest in the first three seasons of Anti-Gravity Racing, and an online campaign, where you compete against other players in online mutiplayer game while completing a series of objectives.
- Unity Square
- Metro Park
- Queens Mall
- Capital Reach
- Empire Climb
- Rockway Stadium
Teams and ShipsEdit
All the original teams make an appearence in Wipeout 2048, along with a precursor to the Piranha team, Pir-hana.
- AG Systems
For the first time in the series, each of the teams has a ship made with specialty in a particular race type. There are 20 ships in the game, divided into four categories: Speed, Fighter, Agility, and Prototype.
Speed ships are the fastest of the ship classes, but have poor health and weak firepower. They can't pickup Quake and Bombs due to their smaller figure.
Fighter ships, on the other hand, excel in health and firepower at the cost of speed and handling. They can't pickup Mines because of their aggressive manner.
Agility ships have better handling than any other ship classes, but are not particularly fast. They can't pickup Bombs, which might cause them to interfere their handling.
Prototype ships are ships with unique features. Prototype ships can only be unlocked by completing Prototype Challenges that become available as the player ranks up. Each prototype ship has strengths and weaknesses distinct from the other ships.
The final soundtrack for Wipeout 2048 consists of a total of 14 tracks by international artists.
- Anile - "Change of Direction (Wipeout Mix)"
- Camo & Crooked - "Breezeblock (Wipeout Mix)"
- The Chemical Brothers - "Electronic Battle Weapon"
- deadmau5 - "Some Chords (Wipeout Edit)"
- Dirtyloud - "School of Funk"
- DJ Fresh ft. Sian Evans - "Louder (Drumsound & Bassline Smith Mix)"
- The Future Sound of London - "We Have Explosive (2011 Rebuild) (Wipeout Edit)"
- Kraftwerk - "Tour de France 2003 (Wipeout Edit)"
- Noisia - "Regurgitate (Wipeout 2048 Edit)"
- Orbital - "Beelzedub"
- Orbital - "P.E.T.R.O.L (Final Drop Mix)"
- The Prodigy - "Invaders Must Die (Liam H Re-Amped Mix)"
- Rockwell - "BTKRSH (Wipeout Edit)"
- Underworld - "Kittens (Will Saul & Tam Cooper Remix)"
On 19 June 2012, Studio Liverpool released the expansion to Wipeout 2048, the Wipeout HD/Fury DLC. It contains all the ships, tracks, and Campaign events from the original Wipeout HD/Fury on the PlayStation 3 to be playable for the Vita version with the same graphics as 2048. It is because that this DLC completes the collection of ships and tracks for the Cross Play mode. The DLC can either be bought separately (HD or Fury packs) or bundled together. However, as a Cross-Buy DLC, for those who have already purchased the HD/Fury full game on the PS3 will receive both the packs for the Vita or vice versa for free.
- Main article: Trophies in Wipeout 2048
On 4 December 2016, during PlayStation Experience 2016 in Anaheim, California, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced that 2048 will be remastered for the PlayStation 4, along with HD and Fury, in the Wipeout Omega Collection.
- Although this is the last game of the Wipeout series as of February 2012, it is the first in the Wipeout storyline.
- The intro shows the evolution of racing from the post-war to the AGRC days with vehicles using FEISAR's colour pattern. However, the company wouldn't be founded until 2036.
- Fictional vehicles from MotorStorm: Apocalypse make brief cameos in the same intro's 2025 scene, such as the Patriot V8 XR, the Wulff DT566M, and the Ozutsu Blacksun J-GT.
- This game features weapons capable of destroying ships, barrel rolls, and Mag-Strips before they became available in the previous entries (2097, Pure, and Pulse respectively), meaning they were probably banned when the AGRC ended in 2050.
- Upon closer inspection, ships in Wipeout 2048 have gearboxes equipped as in modern automobiles. While the ship shifts gears, the game camera shakes a little. Ships may have "infinite" gears, however, due to the fact that they continue to shift gears even if they're running at top speed, most likely resembling the CVT system. There seems to be no explanation for this.
- ↑ http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/06/hands-on-with-sonys-ngp-the-system-the-games-the-size.ars
- ↑ Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048, Little Deviants And More NGP Games Officially Unveiled
- ↑ http://playfront.de/der-soundtrack-zu-wipeout-2048/
- ↑ Two WipEout 2048 DLC Packs on PSN Today
- ↑ Get Those Engines Ready: WipEout HD And Fury Expansion Packs Set To Hit PS Vita Tomorrow
- ↑ http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/wipeout-2048
- ↑ WipEout Omega Collection Revealed for PS4
- ↑ WipEout Omega Collection announced for PS4 at PSX
- ↑ http://press-start.com.au/news/playstation/2016/12/04/wipeout-omega-collection-coming-ps4/
|PS1: WipEout • 2097/XL • 64 • Wip3out|
|PS2/PSP: Fusion • Pure • Pulse|
|PS3/Vita: HD (Fury) • 2048|
|PS4: Omega Collection|