Wipeout Omega Collection
Wipeout (ワイプアウト; Waipuauto) (trademarked as WipEout) is a series of futuristic anti-gravity racing games developed by Studio Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis). The series is well-known for its fast-paced gameplay and high-quality 3D visual design, along with running on the full resolution of the console the game belongs to; as well as its association with electronica and electronic dance music.
Wipeout is a racing series that features vehicles that hover over futuristic racetracks. Power-ups (or "pick-ups") are available and come in offensive ("weapon") and defensive ("item") varieties.
|1995||Wipeout||PlayStation, Sega Saturn, MS-DOS||—||2052 (F3600)|
|1996||Wipeout 2097/XL||PlayStation, MS-DOS, Microsoft Windows, Sega Saturn, Amiga, Mac OS||—||2097 (F5000)|
|1998||Wipeout 64||Nintendo 64||—||2098 (F5000)|
|1999||Wipeout 3||PlayStation||Wipeout 3: Special Edition was released in Europe in 2000||2116 (F7200)|
|2002||Wipeout Fusion||PlayStation 2||—||2160 (F9000)|
|2005||Wipeout Pure||PlayStation Portable||—||2197 (FX300)|
|2007||Wipeout Pulse||PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2||Ported to the PlayStation 2 in Europe in 2009||2207 (FX400)|
|2008||Wipeout HD||PlayStation 3||An expansion pack, Wipeout HD Fury, was released in 2009||2206 (FX350)|
|2012||Wipeout 2048||PlayStation Vita||Features Cross-Platform play with Wipeout HD/Fury add-on and is a prequel to the other games in timeline||2048-2050 (A.G.R.C.)|
|2017||Wipeout Omega Collection||PlayStation 4||Remaster of Wipeout HD, Wipeout HD Fury and Wipeout 2048||2206 (FX350)
The Wipeout franchise began with the release of the original Wipeout in 1995. Three more Wipeout games were released by the end of the decade, all developed by Liverpool-based developer Psygnosis. In 1999, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe acquired Psygnosis and its intellectual property, including Wipeout. As part of the acquisition, the name "Psygnosis" was changed to "SCE Studio Liverpool". After the acquisition, five more Wipeout games were developed, one on the PlayStation 2, two for the PlayStation Portable, and a downloadable title for the PlayStation 3, Wipeout HD. It is now available on Blu-ray disc packaged with the Fury expansion as of 16 December 2009. The latest entry was Wipeout 2048 for PlayStation Vita.
The closure of Studio Liverpool was announced on 22 August 2012. In a press release Sony stated that after an assessment of all European studios, it had decided to close Studio Liverpool. Sony said that the Liverpool site would remain in operation, as it is home to a number of Sony World Wide Studios and SCEE Departments.
Eurogamer was told by an unnamed source, that at the time of its closure, Studio Liverpool was working on two PlayStation 4 launch titles. One was a Wipeout title described as "dramatically different", and the other was going to be a motion capture game based along the lines of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell. The collapse of the studio was a disappointment for all fans of Wipeout, and the fate of the game series is currently unknown.
In Popular CultureEdit
- A Wipeout "arcade" game was also featured in the 1995 movie Hackers. The actual game footage was pre-rendered CGI and the actors merely pretended they were playing the game.
- Footage from Wipeout has been used in some music videos. Footage from Wipeout 2097 was used in Fluke's music video for Atom Bomb. KeeMo used footage from Wipeout Fusion for the music video of The Dawn.
- Wipeout makes an appearance in the crossover fighting game, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale as the items (Leech Beam and Gravity Shield). Also, elements from Wipeout HD make up part of Fearless, a DLC stage representing Heavenly Sword, developed by Ninja Theory.
- ↑ http://www.facebook.com/Wipeout2048
- ↑ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-22-sony-closes-wipeout-developer-sony-liverpool-report
- ↑ http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/03/wipeout-omega-collection-revealed-for-ps4/
- WipeoutZone Forum - Wipeout community forum
- WipEout Arena - French language Wipeout community forum
- Wipeout 推進委員会 - Japanese language Wipeout fansite
- WipEout Future - Wipeout universe fansite, available in English and French languages
- CoLD SToRAGE - Tim Wright, the creator of Wipeout music & sound effects
- Wipeout AG Community - Fan-made Facebook page
|PS1: WipEout • 2097/XL • 64 • Wip3out|
|PS2/PSP: Fusion • Pure • Pulse|
|PS3/Vita: HD (Fury) • 2048|
|PS4: Omega Collection|